martes, 19 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 17: Unit 34 CRIME

Lesson 17: Unit 34 CRIME

David: Today we’re going to talk about crime.
Kevin: Particularly the crime of theft.
Natalie: Theft. When someone steal something from you.
Kevin: Something like this a checkbook.
David: Or this a wallet.
Kevin: Or these credit cards.

First man: This is a very dangerous station.
Second man: Is it?
First man: Yes. Someone stole my wallet here yesterday.
Second man: Really?
First man: Yes. I was standing right here.
Second man: And what were you doing?
First man: I was reading a newspaper. I was standing here and I was reading a newspaper. Like this. And I was eating an apple. Like this. And I was listening to a cassette. Like this.
Second man: And someone stole your wallet?
First man: Yes. It’s incredible, isn’t it?

Kevin: Last week somebody stole my credit cards. It was last Tuesday. I was having lunch on my houseboat when the telephone rang.
Natalie: There isn't telephone on the boat
Kevin: yes, Natalie. So… I was having lunch when the phone rang.
Kevin: While he was having lunch, the phone rang.
Natalie: So what did you do.
Kevin: I answered it. I went into my bedroom and answered the telephone.
Natalie: Who was it?
Kevin: My mother. While I was talking to her, I heard a noise. Somebody opened the door of the boat.
Natalie: Who was it?
Kevin: I don’t know. I said goodbye to my mother, put the phone down and ran into the other room. Nobody was there. No-one was there.

Somebody = someone
Anybody = no-one

Natalie: Perhaps it was the wind.
Kevin: No, I did hear someone. And that person stole my credit cards.
Natalie: Are you sure? Perhaps you lost them.
Kevin: No. Someone did steal them.
Natalie: How do you know?
Kevin: Because the police caught the thief.

David: A thief is someone who steals things. Who takes things. Someone steals things from a  house is called burglar.
There was a burglar in Julia Marsh flat last night or she thought there was.

JAMES AND JULIA

James: Morning Julia
Julia: Morning James.
James: Did you go to the cinema last night?
Julia: Did you enjoy the film?
Julia: Yes. It was perfect good. But the strangest thing happened when I got home.
James: What?
Julia: Well. When I got home I came up the stairs and started to put my key on the door.
James: Yes.
Julia: And I heard a noise. A noise like a computer in my flat. I thought it was a burglar.
James: So what did you do?
Julia: I ran into the street and phoned the police from the phone box on the corner. They came very quickly. But while we were walking up the stairs my door opened. No burglar coming out. But It wasn’t a burglar.
James: Who was it?
Julia: It was Karl.
James: Karl?
Julia: You Know. Karl Schiller from Munich.
James: Oh Karl! Karl?
Julia: Yes.
James: What was he doing here?
Julia: He was waiting for me to come home. Imagine while I was sitting in the cinema, Karl was sitting in my flat.


David: So it wasn’t a burglar; It was Karl and he didn’t steal anything. Has anybody ever stolen anything from you?

Locked the car and left the bag in the front

1.    Yes, my family was burgled some years ago when I was living at home.
2.    I had my bag stolen out of my car. Happened I was finishing duty and I was picking a friend up. I actually locked the car and left the bag in the front of the car on the floor. I was about 23 minutes. I came back, the window was smashed and the bag was gone.
3.    When I was growing up, we used to leave our bicycles in a garage that was unlocked. And people started stealing them, so we eventually had to lock up the garage.
4.    My house was broken into by a burglar about five or six years ago. And all the electronic equipment was stolen television & wifi and also all my wife’s jewellery.


Natalie: Back to James and Julia. James wants to know what Karl was doing at the flat last night.
James: What was Karl doing here?
Julia: I told you, he was waiting for me. He wanted to talk about a new computer.
James: How did he get in?
Julia: The porter let him in.
James: Why did he do that?
Julia: He know Karl. He came to the flat one day while he was staying in London.
James: You didn’t tell me that.
Julia: I did tell you. I remember.
James: Are you sure?
Julia: Yes, I’m quite sure.
James: OK. Where’s Karl now?
Julia: He’s at his hotel but he’s coming here this morning. He wants us to work together on a new project.
James: Oh. Good.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario