martes, 19 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 30: Unit 60 MEMORIES

Lesson 30: Unit 60 MEMORIES

Kevin: And welcome to the last Look Ahead programme.
David: Today we ask the question. Do you remember? And we’re going to meet again some of the many people we’ve met in the series.
Natalie: People like explorer, Matt Dickinson. Firefighter Chris Bahr: Registrar Norman Stevens, and many more.
Kevin: But first this.

Sherlock: Hello, do you remember me? I’m Sherlock Holmes. Today I am going to investigate what has happened to some of my friends from other programmes. As soon as I find out, I’ll tell you.  This is where they make the cartoons. Let’s see what’s in here.
Traveller: Do you remember me?
Sherlock: No.
Travelled: I wanted a room for the night.
Hotel owner: And I gave him a room without a bed.
Sherlock: Yes, I remember… What’s this?
Sheep: Do you remember who I am?
Sherlock: Yes! You’re an artist. Aren’t you?
Sheep: Yes, and do you remember why I was angry?
Sherlock: Because your model went to the hairdressers.
Sheep: That’s right, and I’m still angry!
Sherlock: Do you remember who lives here? Do you remember meeting here? And do you remember what she wanted to buy?
Snail: I wanted to buy a car.
Sherlock: That’s right, and did you buy one?
Snail: Yes, but it was terrible! When I drove it, it fell to pieces. Just look at it now.


David: Now, we’re going to meet again some of the people we’ve met in Look Ahead. First of all Explorer Matt Dickinson.
Kevin: do you remember how he compared the dangers of whitewater rafting? And walking across the Namib Desert?

Matt Dickinson: The river has a great deal of noise; there’s the rushing of the water; there’s the grinding   and rumbling of great rock. Perhaps the size of a house as they are pushed underneath the surface of the river downstream by the force of the water.
But each place has its own dangers. The heat the aridity, the all-embracing oven of the desert is just as dangerous as the savage forces of a white-water river, but to be in that environment is a completely different experience, and it requires a completely different approach, both mentally in order to survive.

Natalie: Do you remember Maureen Beaumont? From London Transport Lost Property office.
Kevin: Oh! Yes. I remember her describing all the strange things people leave on buses and trains.

Maureen Beaumont: Handbags, purses, cameras, watches, you name it and somebody’s lost air some time or another. You can see this is some of the false teeth, that we have handed in. I’m not quite sure what a tops and what a bottom since that. Probably enough musical instruments here to equip the small orchestra. For hand, it’s part of skeleton, it’s the leg part, I think. Quite a large theatrical sword, stuffed eagle, beautiful wedding dress.

Kevin: Do you remember going to Universal Studio in Florida?
David: Yes, I do. And I remembered Joyce Tullis and her family talking about what they like best.   

Joyce Tullis: I preferred earthquake to Ghostbusters. I preferred it primarily, because I felt that the visual effects were much more creative and authentic. The rides were incredible, but the best part of the day for me, the thing I liked the most was sharing the excitement and the enjoyment of the day with my family.

Natalie: Now, Norman Stephens.  A London registrar who has married more people than the he can remember.
Kevin: What? I see what you mean.

Norman Stephens: I give this ring as a symbol of our marriage and has a token of my love. Have you made your declarations in front of your witnesses. Very pleased to say why now my law husband and wife.
Though I personally have married about ten thousand couples. What I have to remind myself all the time is that for them is their first time and for them it’s a very special day.

Natalie: One of my favorite moments was our visit to New Mexico.
David: Yes. As soon as I saw the scenery and the sunshine I understood why so many people take their holidays there.
Natalie: John Eagan explained its attraction.

John Eagan: I think the reason that people come to the south west is not only because of the scenery itsef – the vast spaces and the beautiful colours of the country – but also the important history and the legends that surround the south west, in so far as cowboys are concerned, and Indians and so on. This is a uniquely American sort of legend, but at the same time it’s something that I think people throughout the world really identify with and love to be a part of.

David: Do you remember going to the Royal College of Art and meeting Katie Bunnell?
Kevin: Yes, I do.
David: Well, can you remember what she was working  on.
Kevin: No, I can’t.
David: Well, let’s find out.

Katie Bunnell: I’m working on a project at the moment which is basically a large piece of sculpture. I’ve been working on it now since the beginning of September. And I started the project by making large collages from drawings of myself. And the sculpture is made up of a pair of arms and a pair of legs; and they’re very large  and curvaceous; and they’re going to be in very, very bright colours; and they will be set against a stripy coloured backgckground.

Kevin: Christine Bahr is a firefighter in California. She told has what happened when she was called to a huge fire in the city of Oakland.

Christine Bahr: While we were on Broadway Terrace, we were asked to fight an attic fire is one of the homes. After we made entry into the house, we climbed up a narrow staircase into a small child´s room. And I only has a second to look around me before the room filled with smoke, and it was too hot to stand up; so we backed out, down the staircase. As we were coming down the stairs, I saw photographs hanging on the wall, and I felt at that point that these people were going to lose their home; and I thought that if I could take the pictures, they would at least have something. So I snatched them off the wall; and I grabbed a towel; and I wrapped them in the towel; and I hunched over them so that they wouldn’t get wet, and I put them down in a neighbour’s yard.

Natalie: do you remember our visit to Cherry Trees Farm with all the school children?

Cherry Trees: The majority of educational visit to Cherry Trees Farm are from school children, aged between four and ten, who are from cities areas…
After they’ve had their lunch, they then go to collect eggs which to many is one of the best things they do on the farm, because a hen often will be sitting in the box where the eggs is laid, and the child must slip its hand under the hen and actually touch a warm eggs.

David: Finally do you remember Sashi Ahluwalia? Do you Kevin?
Kevin: Yes. He runs a fabric. Doesn’t he? In London?
David: Yes, he does. But, can you remember how many members of his family work in the shop.

Sashi Ahluwalia: Basically the whole family: my father, my mother, my mother’s sister, my brother, his wife, my wife and my sister. My father generally keeps an eye on the whole business. My mother, my sister, my sister-in-law, my wife, they sell the fabrics to the customers. My brother and myself, we generally do the office work, we actually go out buying fabrics, but we also get involved in selling the fabrics and running the whole shop. My parents come from the north of India; the Punjab, the next generation we were all born in East Africa, Nairoby, Kenya, and our children were all born in London.

David: Well, I’m afraid that brings us to the end of Look Ahead.
Natalie: We hope that you’ve learned a lot of English with us.
Kevin: And we hope that you’ve enjoyed watching the programmes as much as we’ve enjoyed making them.
David: Good bye!
Natalie: Good bye!
Kevin: Good bye!
WORD BANK
Memories
Recuerdos
Noise
Ruido
Carriage
Carruaje/coche
Primarily
En primer lugar
Eagle
Ágila
Rushing
Ímpetu
False
Falso
Savage
Salvage
Grinding
Chirrido
Share
Compartir
Heat
Calor
Surround
Rodear/envolver
Identify with
Identificarse con
Symbol
Símbolo
Legend
Leyenda
Token
Muestra


Uniquely
Únicamente
Grab
Agarrar/asir
Vast
Inmenso/vasto
Hang
Colgar
Visual effects
Efectos ópticos
Hunch over
Encorvarse
Witness
Testigo
Keep an eye on
Controlar/ocuparse de
Back out
Dar marcha atrás/retroceder
Make entry
Entrar
Background
Fondo
Narrow
Estrecho
Collage
Collage
Project
Proyecto
Curvaceous
Curvilíneo
Run
Dirigir/controlar
Fabric
Tejido/tela
Snatch
Agarrar/arrebatar
Oven
Horno
Staircase
Escalera
Sister-in-law
Cuñada
Stripy
A rayas
Wrap
Envolver


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario