martes, 19 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 24: Unit 47 SCHOOLS AND RULES

Lesson 24: Unit 47 SCHOOLS AND RULES

David: Today we look at rules and regulations things you are allowed to do and things you are not allowed to do.
Kevin: We talk about schools.
Natalie: And we visit this place. A secondary school in England.
David: School, of course, have lots of rules and regulations. At my school, for example, boys had to wear white shirt. You weren’t allowed to wear a shirt that was any other colour.
Natalie: Really! At my school, they didn’t let you go into the classroom if the teacher wasn’t there.
Kevin: At my school, you were allowed to wear what you liked, and they let you go where you liked to.
David: Nowadays some things are different, but some things are the same. When I was at school…

You weren’t allowed to…
You’re allowed to…
They didn’t let you…
You weren’t permitted to…
You’re permitted to…
They don’t let you…

David: What about your school, whether any rules that you didn’t like?

1.    I can’t remember liking any of them I disliked all of them.
2.    I didn’t like having to wear short trousers till I was 13, especially on cold winter days.
3.    Where I grew up in the Río Grande Valley it was so hot that the temperature never got below 60 degrees and they wouldn’t allow us to wear shorts and I thought that was kind of ridiculous.
4.    It always irritated me that only staff were supposed to walk through the front entrance of the school so I always walked through the front entrance of the school and got in trouble for it.
5.    I was fortunate in that I went to a school with no rules.

THE BIRDS

Mother: OK. Are you ready?
Baby: No.
Mother: Come on. It’s easy, just do this. Now you try. You’re supposed to start flapping your wings before you take off! Try again.
Baby: Shy.
Mother: Try again.
Baby: Oh! I see!
Mother: Honestly! You’re not supposed to stop flying when you’re in the air! You’re supposed to keep going!
Baby: Look! I can do it!
Mother: That’s very good.
Baby: Is it all right if I do it again?
Mother: Er… not now. Let’s wait until tomorrow.

You’re not supposed to stop.
You’re supposed to keep going.

They let us wear what we want to.
We’re allowed to wear jewellery.
We have to wear skirts.

We’re not allowed to speak at all.
We’re permitted to eat and talk quietly.
We can make as much noise as we like.

Kevin: I have a question.
Natalie: What´s that?
Kevin: Why do you have to drive on the left in Britain?
David: Well…

Natalie: It’s a long history. Goodbye.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario