martes, 19 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 19: Unit 38 CAREERS AND AMBITIONS

Lesson 19: Unit 38  CAREERS AND AMBITIONS

David: Hello. Today we look at careers.
Natalie: We’re going to talk about the work that people do and how long they’ve been doing it.
Kevin: And we’ll talk about people’s ambitions. What they want to do and what they want to be.
David: Let’s start with James Brady. James and Julia formed their own company three months ago. They’ve been working together since then. At the moment James is in Manchester on business. He’s in his hotel dining room waiting for breakfast.

JAMES AND JULIA

James: Paul Cook?
Paul: Yes. Sorry, I don’t.
James: James Brady.
Paul: Of course. How are you?
James: I’m fine, thanks.
Paul: Would you like to join me?
Brady: Thank you very much.
Paul: Are you still with MAP Advertising?
Brady: No. I have my own company now. Well, I’m working with Julia Marsh.
Paul: Oh, I remember Julia. How is she?
Brady: Fine.
Paul: How long have you been working together?
Brady: For about three months. Since May. What about you? Are you still working for…
Paul: Art and Design?
Brady: Art and Design?
 Paul: Yes, I’ve been working there for ten years.
Receptionist: Good morning Mr. Brady. How is your suit?
Brady: Oh. It’s all right now. Thank you very much.
Receptionist: Good.
Paul: How is your suit?
James: I’ll explain during breakfast.

Kevin: What kind of work do you do and how long have you been doing it.

1.    I’m a US Customs Inspector and I’ve been doing it for twenty years.
2.    I’m a dentist, and I have been doing this work for twenty years.
3.    I go to Lake Brantley High School, and I’ve been going to high school for the last three years.
4.    I been working at the Morgan Motor Company, a manufacturer of cars, for the last six years.
5.    I work for the London Ambulance Service, and I’ve been working there for the past four years.
6.    I’m a writer and a journalist, and I’ve been doing that for nearly thirty years.

FOR FOUR HUNDRED YEARS!

Statue one: Psst! Over here! How long have you been standing like that?
Statue two: I don’t know.
Statue one: Well, look at your sign.
Statue two: 15… 90. 1590! I’ve been standing like this since 1590!
Statue one: Since 1590! What about me? Can you read my sign?
Statue two: 15… 75.
Statue one: 1575! That means we’ve been like this for more than 400 years.

JAMES AND JULIA

James: So I had my suit cleaned and got it back this morning.
Paul: I see.
James: What are you doing here in Manchester?
Paul: I have an interview for a job.
James: A job?
Paul: Yes. I’ve been looking for a new job for ages. I’ve applied for a job with a newspaper company here in Manchester.
James: What kind of job?
Paul: Well, they’re starting a new weekly magazine for young people and they’re looking for designer.
James: Have you worked on a magazine before?
Paul: No, but it’s always been my ambition. I must go. I don’t want to be late.
James: Well, good luck.
Paul: Thank you.

Natalie: What’s your ambition, Kevin? What would you like to be?
Kevin: I’d like to be a writer. A novelist.
Natalie: Have you written any books?
Kevin: Not yet, but I will. Do you have any secret ambitions, David?
David: Yes. I’d like to learn to fly. I’d like to be a pilot.
Kevin: Really?
David: Yes.

Natalie: What about you? Do you have any secret ambitions?

1.    I’ve always wanted to write a successful stage play for the West End.
2.    I’d actually like to climb Mount Everest.
3.    I’d like to retire when I’m 55.
4.    Secret ambitions. I’d like to write a book.
5.    I’ve always wanted to play the piano.
6.    One my secret ambitions that has nothing to do with work, is to win the Texas Championships in cycling.

Kevin: How long have we been working today.
Natalie: Since nine o’clock this morning.
David: That’s eight hours.
Kevin: I think that’s long enough.

David: So do I. good bye.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario