martes, 19 de septiembre de 2017

Lesson 23: Unit 46 POLITICS

Lesson 23: Unit 46 POLITICS

Natalie: In an election, people choose a new government. They vote for candidates from political parties. In Great Britain, there’s an election very five years.
Kevin: In the United States, we vote for a new president every four years. I’ve been voting for seven years. I’ve voted in two presidential elections. What about you?
David: I’ve been voting for about 14 years now. I’ve voted in one, two, three elections.
Natalie: I’ve only voted in one election.
Kevin: Who did you vote for?
Natalie: That’s a secret!

An election.
In an election, you vote for a candidate.
I’ve voted in two elections.
I’ve been voting for 7 years.
I have been voting for 7 years.


Natalie: Who did you vote for at the last election?

1.    I’m not prepared to answer that.
2.    I voted for the Conservative Party.
3.    I’d rather not answer the question.
4.    I voted liberal at the last General Election.
5.    As a public servant I probably shouldn’t say that.
6.    I voted for the Labour Party.
7.    Well, I inherited a title from my grandfather. So I’m what they call a peer, and therefore I don’t have actually any vote in general elections. But I do vote in the House of Lords.

Natalie: Have you always voted for the same party?

1.    I voted with the same party for the last few general elections.
2.    I haven’t always voted for the same party.
3.    I’ve always voted for the Labour Party.

THE NEW ROAD

Election meeting tonight.
Do we want a new road through the forest?
Rabbit 1: I’ve living in this forest for a long time and I’ve seen a lot of changes, but this new road is a very bad idea. I’m against it.
Public: Come on here.
Rabbit 2: Here soon  please, more people and people bring food. I’m for the new road.
Rabbit 1: As I see it, he doesn’t matter if you’re for the new road or against the new road? It doesn’t matter.
Rabbit 2: What do you mean it doesn’t matter?
Rabbit 1: it doesn’t matter because the road  has already been built. Where?
Rabbit 2: I haven’t see it.
Rabbit 1: What are you talking about?

Kevin: Here some ways to express an opinion

I’m against it.
I don’t agree with the idea.
I’m for it.
I agree with the idea.
As I see it,…
In my opinion.
My point of wiew.

I’ve fought every election since 1970.
I’ve made many mistakes.
I don’t think I’ve made more errors than most other people.

Natalie: Kevin, I’d like to know about the American political system. I’ve never understood it.
Kevin: Do you have a couple of hours?
Natalie: Yes.
Kevin: Are you sitting comfortably?
Natalie: Yes?
Kevin: Right. Well, there are two main parties; the Republicans and the Democrats, and there are two main houses. House of Representatives and Senate.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario